This Page

has been moved to new address

Ferronlandia in NYC! Day 1: Lower East Side to West Village

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Ferronlandia: Ferronlandia in NYC! Day 1: Lower East Side to West Village

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Ferronlandia in NYC! Day 1: Lower East Side to West Village

I can't think of a better place to spend my birthday. I've never had a bad time in New York. I've snuck into the planetarium for a private showing, raided a TISH party for their beer, smiled and nodded as my friend told the cops I was French and didn't understand that public drinking was illegal in America, and eaten more than I thought was humanly possible- but no, I've never had a bad time.

So here I am again, right off the red-eye and into my first day with my partner in crime Agustina, who lives in the lower east side. The highlights:
1. Brunch at Clinton Street Baking Co. It smells like banana walnut in here. Fluffy pancakes to balance out the southern breakfast of eggs, cheesy grits and fried green tomatoes. Service was fast and everything at neighboring tables also looked delicious.
2. Walk around east village vintage shops, we scored at Buffalo Exchange, the prices are super fair and there are great finds. Walk down E 9th and you'll find a bunch more.

3. Dumplings in chinatown. $1 for five pork dumplings. $10 for 80. In case you were having a dumpling party. You'll get them and devour them faster than you can say... "is this wrong?"
4. Falafel at Mamoun's. Yes, I know every NYU kid alive knows about this place, but every time I come to New York I have to have it, and everyone who I visit loves an excuse to get it.
"Where's that place again, with the good fa-"
"Mamoun's. Let's go."

5. Les Nubians at the Le Poisson Rouge.
We came up on this show while browsing for nightime activities on the google and what a good find! I've been listening to these two since high school and they sounded beautiful live. The best part of the show may have been the preaching: "To all my sisters! Be masters of your pussy... cross your legs until you get what you want." Followed by frowns and shrugged shoulders from the men in the room, a collective "damn, now I'm definitely not gonna get any tonight." The venue was also dope, intimate yet lots of space and a chill crowd.
After that  it was officially my birthday and it gets a little blurry from then on. Blurry in a good way.

Got the travel bug?
Brunch: http://www.clintonstreetbaking.com/
Shopping: Buffalo Exchange
Other stores
Prosperity Dumpling: 46 Eldridge St
Falafel: http://mamouns.com/
Concert: http://lepoissonrouge.com/
http://www.lesnubians.com/

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home