This Page

has been moved to new address

Recipe for a Good First Friday in Oakland

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Ferronlandia: Recipe for a Good First Friday in Oakland

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Recipe for a Good First Friday in Oakland

On the first Friday of every month Oakland's art galleries open their doors and hold receptions- I love the idea and it always makes me happy to see so many souls wandering around downtown. But if you find massive crowds of hipsters irritating (it's natural), here's a recipe for a good first Friday in Oakland:
1. Start at Chaparral City- Seraphina and Hugh opened this gallery space on 9th and Washington St. just recently. Featuring rotating local artisits and some of Hugh's work. Tucked away from most of the Art Murmur happenings. Lil space, lotta love. 
2. Boot and Shoe for a snack-  Go to the bar in the back. It's cozy and charming and feels secret. Beware, the fancy pizza smell is intoxicating, we had the rapini with homemade sausage even though we weren't hungry and we couldn't remember what rapini was exactly (uh... some kind of green, right yo?) I could've had five of the Sister Sarah cocktails (it has tequila and rum, why would you tempt me with such a a drink??)
3. Bar 355 for more drinkin- Just opened a month ago, the newness doesn't imply that you won't run into old scenes from high school, but we can live with that. Classy beer and wall paper, nice lighting, strong drinks.
The only problem I had with 355 was the bad Mexican banda music at the end of the night- I know this music well, I have indulged in it at various cantinas, and I don't understand why it's trendy all of a sudden. It's not salsa. You don't dance salsa to it. You jump around like this:
You can't replicate it Oakland, stick to your chillness- that's why I love you.

Got the travel bug?

Chaparral City Gallery: http://www.chaparralcity.com/Home_Page.html Open first Fridays of the month from 7 pm on and Friday farmers markets from 10-2.
Boot and Shoe Service: http://bootandshoeservice.com/
Bar 355: 355 19th st (and Franklin)

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At October 6, 2010 at 5:52 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

i like your blog. i wanna go cool-oakland-spot-hunting with you!
i got my best pisco sour, best dark n stormy and best greyhound spots all picked out. been to the layover? yeah...

 
At October 7, 2010 at 3:16 PM , Blogger Ferronlandia said...

thanks papi! let's do it. I haven't been to the layover yet...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home