This Page

has been moved to new address

Get happy this Sunday at Glide

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Ferronlandia: Get happy this Sunday at Glide

Saturday, November 13, 2010

Get happy this Sunday at Glide

Last month I did something one Sunday morning that didn't involve food or nursing my hangover. I didn't go to the farmer's market, I didn't go to coffee, and I didn't go to brunch. I went to church.

Not to worry Grandma, I'm still an atheist yet culturally fluent Jew (uh, I'm not sure if that actually makes her feel better). But I had to work at Glide on one rainy Sunday and I thought I would stay for the service (actually called the Sunday Celebration). I've volunteered in the kitchen before, but had only heard about the ensemble.
First of all, and I realize this is an inappropriate remark considering the drug rehabilitation work that Glide does, but I want some of whatever that choir is on.  Is it happy pills? The singers are all so different looking, but their joyful glory is totally in sync and it's damn contagious! Slow to wake up on Sunday mornings? Me too, but trust me-  Oh Happy Day will get ya.

Second, I knew Glide was special, but I didn't know how politically right on the sermons are. I was reminded to vote, I was reminded that we are all Oscar Grant, I was reminded of people who fight for their beliefs and love unconditionally, I was reminded that my weekends should not only be filled with food and drinks and mayhem, but a little time to remember and celebrate my values. 

Got the travel bug?

More details about volunteering and Sunday celebrations: http://www.glide.org/

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home